Getting a spouse visa in Australia is not a complicated process, but it's good to understand a few factors about that process so you know what to expect and how to ensure your success when applying. Note a few important aspects of applying for such a visa and a few tips on how to make it easier on you when you go along, and be sure to discuss this with a migration agent if you still have questions. They can explain the process in greater detail and review your case in particular to ensure you're not overlooking anything and understand all necessary qualifications.

1. Eligible partner

Note that your partner or spouse needs to be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or a citizen of New Zealand for you to qualify as a spouse or partner of that person. 

For yourself, note that you and your partner do not necessarily need to be legally married. You can be the fiancé of the person mentioned above. Australia also recognizes long-term partnerships or de facto partners as falling under this "spouse" visa application. To qualify as a de facto partner, you would need to have a mutually exclusive relationship that doesn't include anyone else, you should live together and not separately, and of course you cannot be related to one another.

2. Type of visa

When applying for any type of visa, there is usually a specific category for that visa and then a subclass. You need to understand this so you apply with the right paperwork or use the right online form for your subclass. If you're in Australia and a spouse or de facto partner of someone in Australia, you want subclass 820 for a temporary visa and subclass 801 for a permanent visa. If you're applying while outside of Australia and are intending to get married no matter the decision of your visa, you want subclass 309 for a partner visa and subclass 100 for a permanent visa. If you want to travel to Australia to get married, you want subclass 300.

3. Proving de facto partnership

If you just have a long-term partnership with someone in Australia, note that there are ways of proving this. You might show joint bank account paperwork, shared mortgage or rent agreements, and even pictures from events you've attended as a couple over the past months and years. A migration agent can walk you through that process if you're not sure of the paperwork you have that could prove your relationship with someone, outside of a marriage license.

For more information, contact a local migration agent from a company like Fisa Pty Ltd